Thompson Funeral Home was founded by Joseph B. Thompson. Joseph B. Thompson was born on January 2, 1916 in Ashville, North Carolina. The family later moved to Spartanburg, South Carolina where he attended school and graduated. Being thrifty and ambitious, wanting to make contributions with his life. J.B., as he was affectingly called was employed in variety of capacities which carried him from New York, Ney Jersey and Pennsylvania. Joseph B. Thompson arrived to Detroit in 1938 where he found employment with the Detroit Stove company and the D.S.R. of the city of Detroit.
Mr. Joseph B. Thompson established Thompson Funeral Home, a family owned and operated business in 1949. A graduate from Wayne State University of Mortuary Science in 1945, Joseph B. Thompson and his wife Mrs. Hildreth Thompson began business in their first location in 1949 on East Forest and Brush. Quickly establishing himself as an astute businessman and civic leader, he was able to expand his business to a newer and larger building, located at 7643 Dexter. His wife, Hildreth was a public relations director, cosmetologist, and organist. She also had a gift with sign language to help with deaf and hearing impaired families.
In 1963, Joseph B. Thompson expanded their location on Dexter Boulevard with larger chapels, casket showroom and arrangement rooms. The Thompson family continued their expansion in 1974 with a beautiful new building located at 15443 Greenfield Road.
With Joseph Thompson at the helm, the Thompson children began their apprenticeship in the business. The oldest son, William Thompson did not live to assume his future role, but the Thompspn family closed ranks and continued to work with an ever-growing business. The responsibilities of directing a large business did not deter Mr. Thompson from tireless contributions in time and money to civic and religious causes.